One of the goals of this new blog is to makeover some of the recipes from my old blogs – update the pictures, add weight measurements to the recipes, etc. I’m currently borrowing my friend’s DSLR to teach myself photography basics and to think about buying one of my own.
Just a few minutes of taking pictures with one, I immediately saw a huge difference between using a DSLR and my outdated smartphone. I didn’t even have to edit these pictures!
My red wine chocolate cupcakes were one of my earlier recipes – I used my favorite dark chocolate cupcake recipe, filled them with a red wine chocolate mixture, and topped with a red wine flavored buttercream. To avoid thinning about the buttercream, I reduced down the red wine with some sugar to create a thick syrup.
The result is a perfect indulgent sweet – and not surprisingly, it pairs great with red wine! Now I just got to find a way to get my hands on my own DSLR…
Red Wine Chocolate Cupcakes
Dark chocolate cupcakes filled with a red wine chocolate ganache and topped with a red wine flavored frosting!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup (94 g) of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (42 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp (extra) red wine
Red Wine Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- Cupcakes: melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in 30 sec intervals until melted. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, mix eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Alternate addition of flour mixture and buttermilk – add flour in two additions and the buttermilk in two additions (flour-milk-flour-milk). Do not overmix.
- Divide batter into cupcake tins (3-4 Tbsp per tin). Bake for 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the red wine chocolate filling. Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in 30 sec intervals until melted. Stir in red wine and set aside to cool.
- Make the frosting: mix white sugar and 1/3 cup red wine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil and then let mixture simmer until reduced down to about 3 Tbsps. Let cool completely in fridge.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in stand mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add red wine reduction and continue beating. Lastly, add the extra Tbsp of red wine. Continue mixing until combined and fluffy.
- Assemble the cupcake: core out the middle of the cupcake and fill with the ganache. Top with the frosting. Enjoy!